[NBLUG/talk] Unix/Linux class

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Mon Dec 4 00:36:27 PST 2006

On Mon, December 4, 2006 23:27, Walter Hansen wrote:

> ... but I've also found the WebMin gui to be a great
> help for some configurations that are a pain to remember. The one
> that comes to mind is sendmail. I can never seem to remeber what
> the hell all the files do and which format to use there.

Never tried WebMin.  I've heard mostly good things about it, and an
occasional gripe.

Sendmail is indeed a PITA for configuration, though!

This is a great example, however, of why I hate relying on a GUI tool:  if
the GUI screws up sendmail, you're in a world of pain trying to fix it!
If you always run from it -- even when it's intact instead of broken --
you're gonna be a VERY unhappy camper when Something Bad happens...

> Webmin is also great for
> editing and creating users. I could do this from the command line, but
> it's something I don't do a lot of and it's easier to do it there than
> go read a couple man pages.

The man pages are my friends, but I always just use "adduser --help" or
whatever the syntax is on that flavor of *NIX.  It lays out everything,
and I just type it in.  WAY too terse to learn from, but I already know
what everything is, I just need to be reminded of anything where "THIS
needs to be placed before THAT," and what ARE all the non-optional parts,
etc.

- Steve S.