[NBLUG/talk] OT: Anyone ever replaced a battery in a UPS?

Robert Hayes rhayes at silcom.com
Sun Dec 10 11:41:04 PST 2006

Seems the battery in my years old UPS just died.

We have voltage drops here regularly during the winter.

Normally the UPS chirps and the world goes on as it should.

Yesterday, however, the UPS chirped, the PC reset.  Yikes.

Now when I hold the test button on the UPS I just get a rapidly declining
beeeeep to nothing. Sounds a lot like R2-D2 dying.

What's the conventional wisdom on this topic? My unit has a small battery,
like a motorcycle. Do people replace the cells, or is the whole thing
recycled and replaced?

TIA

Robert