[NBLUG/talk] OT: Anyone ever replaced a battery in a UPS?

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Sun Dec 10 20:45:44 PST 2006

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 06:18:11PM -0800, Dave Sisley wrote:
> What's the best way to test a UPS?  I don't have any sort of voltmeter
> or whatever (but if that's what I need, I'm off to Radio Shack).
> Obviously, battery-time is dependant on how many things you have plugged
> into it, but is there a way to quantify how much juice a charged UPS can
> deliver?

Plug a 100watt incandescent light into the UPS.  Definitely not halogen and
possibly not fluorescent...  Unplug the UPS from power and see how long it
goes.

Technically this isn't the same kind of load as a computer will place on it,
so even if you matched the wattage of light bulbs to the computer load you'd
be putting on it, you shouldn't assume that the runtimes will be exactly the
same; but you'll have a decent idea, at least.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder