[NBLUG/talk] Printing to X

Nat W. calvin166 at pseudoweb.net
Mon Dec 18 01:05:39 PST 2006

Howdy Folks,
So this is a little continuation of my home server dealie...

While I have my server running, I wanted to add some thing pretty to it, so
I wired up an old laptop screen into a digital picture frame. This will sit
on the desk above my home server and every 10 minutes change photos. This
was surprisingly easy to get together initially, but now I am trying to be
tricky, which isn't working so hot.

I want to print out one or two lines of text on the very top of my screen to
(top as in layer, actual position would be best at bottom right).

The reason this is difficult is that when the server runs, GDM automatically
logs into user slideshow after 30 seconds. Slideshow's .xsession file is as
follows:

xset -dpms
xset s off
feh --hide-pointer -qrzZFD 600 /home/pictures/favorites

feh is a command line image display program

so what can I run that I can at least print the date and time, if not just
two lines of text above this image?

Thanks in advance,
/Nat Welch
PseudoWeb.net