[NBLUG/talk] GBLD (or similar)?

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Wed Feb 8 13:12:23 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:54:46PM -0800, S. Saunders wrote:

> Hey, folks...
>
> Got a medium-geek friend, some interest in Linux.
> I saw the Installfest announced, thought it might
> be a good way to get him hooked up with NBLUG.
>
> One of his favorite computer pursuits is gaming,
> so if anyone knows of a good "gaming distro" that
> he could request for the 'fest, that'd be a big
> (BIG!) plus.

My understanding is that Transgaming/Cedega is the way to go, but it's a
subscription service.

http://www.transgaming.com/

Another option is the free WINE product for which most distro's have
packages, or the commericial Codeweavers Crossover Office (which can be
used for gaming also).  Compatability with the above is going to be hit or
miss, with more hits on Cedega.  All of the above options have
compatability lists available.

> OTOH, the Installfest page explicitly lists ONLY
> RedHat, Debian, & SuSE (??? Really?), so maybe
> I should be looking for good "gaming" RPM's and
> APT's &c...

In the past, the installer volunteers have been pretty much willing to
attempt anything sane.  The catch is that if you request something obscure
you may not be able to find someone who has experience with that specific
item.

-troy