[NBLUG/talk] GBLD (or similar)?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Feb 8 16:34:11 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 01:45:46PM -0800, S. Saunders wrote:
> What about native-Linux games (gaming ISN'T my big draw
> with computers, in case that doesn't show)?  Are they still
> pretty much tEh 5uXXX0rs for selection / excitement / etc?
>
> Does "gaming on Linux" largely still imply some sort of
> emulation or virtual engine, so that you're really running
> Windows games on MS-Win, on Linux?

You should peruse The Linux Game Tome ( http://www.happypenguin.org/ )
and LinuxGames.com ( http://www.linuxgames.com/ )

Along with Linux native ports of some major commercial and shareware stuff,
there are also countless shareware, free and Open Source games
(ranging from both development-has-barely-started and 'crap' all the way
through insanely great).

Personally, my favorite Linux games include:

  * Battle for Wesnoth
  * Super Tux [1]
  * Frozen Bubble
  * Enigma
  * Mutant Storm
  * Space Tripper
  * Defendguin [2]
  * Vectoroids [2]

[1] I initially began SuperTux in 2000.  Dev. died off until 2004 or 2005
when someone else took over.  It's one of the best Linux games out there,
in many people's opinions. :)

[2] I wrote these, too. ;)

--
-bill!                                    Tux Paint 2006 wall calendar,
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                CDROM, bumper sticker & apparel