[NBLUG/talk] GBLD (or similar)?

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Wed Feb 8 16:39:05 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 03:36:54PM -0800, Kyle Rankin wrote:
> I've never seen anything more than anectdotal evidence to support a claim
> that Gentoo is faster than any of the other distributions (although I've
> seen a report in the past that showed some evidence that the Mandrake KDE
> desktop was faster).

Goes back to the rules of optimization (which apply for programming in any
language and for optimizing just about anything, even non-computer things):

Rule 1) Don't.
Rule 2) Profile.  Find out where you need optimization
Rule 3) Benchmark.  before and after.  Otherwise you could be making it worse.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jch/java/rules.html

My attempts (just now) to find Gentoo benchmarked against other distros only
found instructions on how to do some benchmarking on Gentoo, a predone
collection of benchmark tools for Gentoo and a benchmark comparing the same
Gentoo distro version with 32-bit vs. 64-bit (amd64 CPU).  Nothing where,
say, somebody did a dual-boot install of Ubuntu and Gentoo on the same
system and tested the UT framerate on both systems.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder, Scribe and InstallFest Coordinator