[NBLUG/talk] Remote mail access

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 12 12:21:54 PST 2006

On Saturday 11 February 2006 23:51, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> Errr.  No.  Close, though.
>
> Maildir originated with qmail, so the Maildir format's documentation is on
> the qmail site.  Err, technically both Maildir and qmail started with
> Daniel Bernstein and qmail was the first mail server to implement it.

OK, now it makes sense.

> SSU runs exim and Courier IMAP behind the scenes.

So far so good...I'm already running exim.  For the IMAP service, I think I'll
try Dovecot before I try Courier.

> Probably most students just see the SquirrelMail interface and most faculty
> and staff get to their email with a desktop mail client via IMAP or POP.

That would match what I've observed as a student at SSU.

> Personally, I wouldn't recommend qmail.  Partially because I really like
> free/open-source software and qmail isn't quite that.  Partially because
> I've dealt with qmail a lot, and while it's definitely got some nice
> features and a good security model, it always ends up annoying me. (exim
> and postfix are what I'd currently recommend)

I tried to install qmail a while ago on my iBook (running MacOS X 10.4.x), and
found myself annoyed by the number of new users and groups it required
(although I wouldn't have been as annoyed if MacOS X's way of storing user
and group information wasn't so ugly).

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Seize the day, put no trust in the morrow!
		-- Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)

/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email
 X     No Word docs in email