[NBLUG/talk] Quicken vs. GnuCash vs. ??

Augie Schwer augie.schwer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 15:15:24 PST 2006

On 2/17/06, Rick <ricklyb2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  I would prefer to try something a bit more up to date from the OSS world.
> Do any of you have any experience  with GnuCash or any of the other OSS
> financial applications?
>  I've googled a bit, and come up with a few ancient reviews.  Does anyone
> know of any reliable and recent information on financial applications?

I use GnuCash and it works great; I download my bank statements in QIF
and import them without a hitch.

It has been a while since I have used Quicken, so it could have some
really nice Internet features like talking to your various banking
institutions that I don't think GnuCash has.

Kmoney looked nice and I have heard good things about MoneyDance.

On the "double-entry" method that GnuCash uses I find it vary useful
and not hard at all to use. The idea is that money leaving your
checking account (for example) has to go somewhere, so you subtract
the money from one account and add it to another like
Expenses::Automobile::Gas .

For someone who likes to know where his money goes it is a great tool;
one click and I can see how much and when I spent money on eating out
or gas.

Augie.

--
Registered Linux user #229905