[NBLUG/talk] Totem issues

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Feb 21 11:36:08 PST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 11:30:35AM -0800, William Tracy wrote:
> I'd also be interested in
> hearing about other movie players I should try installing that might
> work better.

Probably doesn't help in a Gnome environment, but I've been enjoying
Daily Show & Colbert Report clips from Comedy Central right within Akregator
(an RSS newsfeed reader).

The Comedy Central RSS feeds link to a page full of ads and links and
thumbnails of other video clips.  The page then pops up a window containing
another ad and an embedded video clip.

Fortunately, I discovered someone else out there actually provides a more
friendly RSS feed that links directly to the aforementioned pop-up, so
when I click to 'read the news article' in Akregator, a new tab is opened
containing the embedded video player.

This is all using KMplayer, which is a KDE frontend and embedder for
Mplayer.

FYI, under KDE 3.5 from Debian Unstable.  (Living on the edge, but loving it!)

I've sadly never used Totem, and avoid Firefox.  (Now that Konqueror works
well with Google Maps, I have almost no reason to keep Firefox around,
honestly.)

--
-bill!                                    Tux Paint 2006 wall calendar,
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                CDROM, bumper sticker & apparel