[NBLUG/talk] Benchmarking Filesystems Part II

Ross Thomas boscorama at fastmail.us
Mon Jan 9 00:48:53 PST 2006

Hi Bob,

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 11:45:12 -0800, "Bob Blick" <bblick at sonic.net> said:
> On 7 Jan 2006 at 12:31, Ross Thomas wrote:
> > So what does the list suggest as a filesystem for a hardware RAID 5
> > unit?  (4 x 120GB on 3ware controller)
>
> Anything but ReiserFS(any version).

So I've heard.  I'm not a big fan of ReiserFS.

> I'm using ext3

All my other filesystems are ext3.  Though I had heard that
some other journal-based FS's do better on RAID 5 because
they constantly write to new sections of the disk as part of the
journaling transaction rather than writing to current blocks.
I guess it has to do with the ordering of the free-list.

I could be grossly misinformed though.

> on a 4x250GB sata raid 5 array using a 3ware card.

Nice!

> I figure the number and maturity of recovery tools available,
> and the sheer number of users, makes ext3 the best choice.

That's been a major factor in my current choice.  However, I
am open to new suggestions.  Especially from people who
know more about this than I do.  :-D

Ross.

  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html