[NBLUG/talk] Linux Distribution Chooser

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Tue Jan 10 15:12:21 PST 2006

On Sat, January 7, 2006 11:04, Augie Schwer wrote:
> A cool test to see what Linux Distribution is best for you:
>
> http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

Hmm.

For me, it lists SuSE, Ubuntu, and Debian as "Perfect Matches" and
Kubuntu, Mandriva, & Fedora as "also found" (but imperfect matches).

I had "hand selected" Debian some time ago as my preferred distro,
with considerable interest in Knoppix and Ubuntu as "easy packaging/
installation of an essentially-Debian distro".

So, the tool appears to have at least some validity, at least for me.

As someone else noted, SuSE is a bit of a surprise here.  It either
means that SuSE is better than we'd thought, or that the coder(s)
of the distro-chooser have some degree of SuSE-favoritism...  or it
means something else that I'm too dull to figure out.   All of which
supposes it actually *means* something, of course.  ;-)

- Steve S.
  who finds all the distro's a bit of a pain, frankly.  Choice is good & all
  that, but (distrowatch.com etc notwithstanding) there are so MANY
  competing choices (even within narrow sub-niches of the Linux niche)
  that it's IMHO a Linux-adoption barrier in itself...