[NBLUG/talk] Concerning Linux compatibility with the new MacBook Pro

Aaron Grattafiori nite at sonic.net
Mon Jan 16 10:50:33 PST 2006

Christopher Wagner wrote:

><lifts rock and peeks out>
>
>Most interesting, I wish I had made it to MacWorld to check out this new
>Intel Mac's. :)
>
>I'm more curious about whether the x86 version of OS X can be coerced
>into booting on other chipsets (namely, considerably cheaper hardware),
>I know they're designing things to *not* work in that fashion, but one
>is always curious. :)
>
>- Chris

They looked and felt much like the regular PowerPC ibooks and
powerbooks. Macworld was too full of ipod stuff anyways, so don't feel
you missed tooo much.

As many will see, this was just posted to /. "Intel Macs May Boot
Windows XP After All"
http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/06/01/16/150239.shtml

Part of what I liked about mac's is that they were still non-x86, esp
the G5 processor. If I was going to run linux on a mac (other than my
330Mhz ibook clamshell), i'd be a non-intel one. (unless they were
significatly cheaper... (which they're not)).

I think apple should spend a lot of money adding a bizillion (technical
term) drivers to its OS (on some kinda CD maybe) and releaseing OS X for
non-apple hardware...
  my .02,
              -Aaron