[NBLUG/talk] Concerning Linux compatibility with the new MacBook Pro

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Mon Jan 16 13:59:36 PST 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:36:59PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> On Monday 16 January 2006 12:14, A'fish'ionado wrote:
> > So, is now the time to get a G5 iMac while the getting's good? I'm
> > torn between grabbing one from the Yellowdog people while I can still
> > get it new with a warranty, and waiting for the cheap used ones to hit
> > the market...
>
> As long as you're planning to only run Linux and open-source applications on
> it, and there are working LInux drivers for the iMac G5, this would be a good
> time to get one.  However, if you're planning to run OSX, it's probably not a
> good idea.

No it's not a good idea.  I don't understand why anyone would buy Apple
hardware, except perhaps their notebooks.  They treat their own loyal
customers like crap and do a piss-poor job of supporting older hardware on
newer OS releases.  "Older" can in some cases mean <2 years.  A company I
work for was unable to upgrade to 10.2 because Apple decided not to
write a video driver for an imac less than 2 years old.  Good luck running
10.5 on PowerPC.

Another company had 7 out of 7 g5 desktops fail with power supply or logic
board failures.  The 7th failed in a spectacular poof of smelly smoke while
I was on site.  All of these machines were on UPS's, BTW.

Form over function?  Not for me, thanks.

-troy (crap, I got sucked into this thread)