[NBLUG/talk] Trying to install a SCSI scanner

thiessen at sonic.net thiessen at sonic.net
Thu Jan 19 10:03:57 PST 2006

I hate throwing away old hardware.  My closet overflows into my office with
obsolete stuff.  But the depressing reality of the commodity hardware churn is
that it's usually not worth fixing/paying for additional pieces to utilize
just to
put into use some ancient piece of cruft.  And once you figure in the cost of
electricity to run all those old machines, the equation gets ugly.  Sure, sure,
the build quality of new stuff often stinks.  But you have to go back quite a
ways
in time and performance to get workstation/server-quality hardware.  And I
still can't get rid of my 486.

I think I have a umax scanner or 2 myself.  Maybe it's time to have a yard
sale...
or at least a yard "donation".

Justin