[NBLUG/talk] [OT] Sys Admin group forming

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Fri Jan 20 18:49:20 PST 2006

This topic seems more appropriate for the SoCoSA.org discuss mailing list,
so I'm going to Cc: a copy there.  Let's try to continue discussion there.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 06:07:58PM -0800, S. Saunders wrote:
> > ...  This group is not intended to be specific to
> > Linux, Unix, open source or any particular platform; it's intended for
> > people who get paid to take care of computers.
>
> Q:  What other places is SoCoSA being advertised?  Obviously, it's going
> to be *very* linux-centric (at least to start) if this is the only
> substantive, local venue hearing about it...

Well, NBLUG's a friendly crowd, so I thought I'd start out here.  Actually,
first I started out with talking to sysadmins I know.  The "seed" board has
people who work with: Linux (multiple flavors), Solaris, MacOSX and Windows,
though everybody on the board does have Linux experience.

Where else to advertise/promote is an item on the board meeting agenda.
BayLISA and NCMUG both seem like likely places.  SAGE and LOPSA are probably
possibilities, as well.  I wanted to kind of spread the word slowly until
we'd figured out things like our meeting schedule.  Much easier to get
people interested if you can tell them when the next meeting is, where it's
at, and what the topic will be.  (or at least some likely topics)

Definitely willing to take suggestions on how to get the word out.  For
instance, I know there's a bunch of tech companies in Petaluma and Novato,
and they've gotta have sysadmins, but I don't know how to find them.

I'd like to avoid it being too *nix-centric, but I think there'll be a
slight tendency in that direction no matter how hard we try, simply because
it seems that the "System Administrator" label is applied more consistently
to *nix (or mainframe, OS/390, MVS, VMS, etc.) sysadmins than to Windows
sysadmins.

There's also potential topics we could get speakers for that aren't really
centric to any one OS.  Sysadmin-y applications that run on windows and *nix
platforms, "soft-skills" sysadmin-related presentations, etc.

> I'm a *NIX-geek by preference/background... but mostly-Win2K by necessity
> (i.e. employer) these days, and I'd LOVE a  good suite of Windows
> resources like I've got on my bookshelves, magazine-subscriptions, and
> from LUG's, etc... the experience, obviously, will only come with time.

Wanna help SoCoSA be useful as a resource to Windows sysadmins?  ;)  We
could use a Windows-centric sysadmin on the board.
--
Eric Eisenhart <freiheit at SoCoSA.org>
SoCoSA Founder and President