[NBLUG/talk] File System Choice for distributed sometimes disconnected systems?

Tim C. Lewis tclewis at oreilly.com
Mon Jan 30 11:49:20 PST 2006

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, Augie Schwer wrote:
> So is anyone doing something like this already? Are there any
> suggestions? Is anyone using coda?

I've used coda a bit a number of years ago.  It's pretty neat, caching
data on the clients what not, but had some just random odd behaviour at
times (the details of which I don't currently remember, unfortunately).
It also used to have icky restrictions like forcing everything to be under
/coda instead of wherever you want (unsure if this is still true, but I
haven't seen a ton of work on it since then).

Intermezzo was supposed to take coda a step further:
http://www.inter-mezzo.org/
but I haven't tried it first-hand.

A semi-simpler approach might be something like sshfs (and rsync, if you
don't want to rely on the server being around), which uses FUSE.  No
server-side stuff needed (except sshd with the sftp subsystem), no
root-access needed, encryption provided by ssh, etc.  My gentoo sshfs
package says it came from http://fuse.sourceforge.net/.

-tcl.