[NBLUG/talk] XGL and Compiz

Steve Johnson fratm at adnd.com
Mon Jul 3 12:00:49 PDT 2006

Has anyone tried this yet?   For those of you who do not know what it
is, it is basically a X Server run on your 3D chip set, so you end up
getting better performance than you would off of your video cards 2d
chip set.

The compiz part gives you some nice 3d effects on your desktop, and
turns your desktop into a 3d cube that you can rotate to see other
desktops.

It is quit neat, and I have been running it for about a month now, and
enjoy the little bit of eye candy. =)

Here is a demo video on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CgqWlX_GsI

So far my biggest impression is that it is way fast.  I'm running this
on a Ubuntu Dapper install, on an old AMD Athlon 1400XP, with half a gig
of ram, and a GeForce 2ti video card.   I never thought this desktop
would seem so fast!

-Steve

--
 "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment." - Lao-Tzu
 |C8H10N4O2|