[NBLUG/talk] WEP with debian laptop

E Frank Ball frankb at frankb.us
Fri Jul 14 10:54:15 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 09:53:24AM -0700, E Frank Ball wrote:
} I have a laptop with Debian stable, 2.4 kernel, a Cisco
} Aeronet 350 wireless card.
}
} It works fine on networks without WEP.  How can I configure
} WEP to work.  I'm starting networking from
} /etc/pcmcia/network.opts, so don't tell me to edit
} /etc/network/interfaces, that does nothing.  netenv didn't
} work.  I googled and found man conflicting answers, but none
} I tried worked.

I found /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts

but when I tried to configure it it really hosed everything.
So the file does something, but I need help configuring it:

# Cisco/Aironet 4800/340
# Note : MPL driver only (airo/airo_cs), version 1.3 or later
*,*,*,02:52:85:*)
    INFO="Cisco/Aironet example (Cisco default settings)"
#     ESSID="any"
    ESSID="XXXXXXXXXXXX"
# To set all four ESSID, use iwconfig v21 and the same trick as above
    MODE="Managed"
#    RATE="11M auto"
    KEY="XXXXXXXXXX"
    ;;