[NBLUG/talk] Linux desktop backup solutions

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Sat Jul 15 07:59:27 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 11:20:00AM -0700, Scott Doty wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 11:06:35AM -0700, Sean Machin wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a similar solution for Linux?
>
> FC5 has "amanda", not sure how effective it is...
>
>  -Scott
> p.s. "Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver"

Amanda's great if all you want to back up is *nix type devices that tar or
dump work well on and you've got a tape drive (or, better: a tape changer).

With windows it can just do a backup of an exported share which doesn't get
everything you need and I suspect that with MacOSX it'll miss some of the
weird FS data stuff.

Not really made for home usage though.  Not unless you've got a tape drive.
It can do backups to hard drive and people have made it do stuff to CD, but
it's really not *good* at those kinds of things; for instance, the default
hard drive backup stuff is designed to assume that the stuff on the hard
drive eventually gets moved to tape, mostly makes sure that if somebody
forgets to swap a tape you still get incremental backups of your systems.
The stuff for treating a CD as if it's a tape device might've improved since
I last looked at it, though.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder, Scribe and InstallFest Coordinator