[NBLUG/talk] Good hardwar vendors (was Missing ReiserFS superblock!)

Andrew argonaut at gmx.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 11:24:34 PDT 2006

Lincoln Peters wrote on Mon, 24 Jul 2006 19:07:53 -0700:

> I also found that, using some items on sale at CompUSA, I could
> get a pair of 250GB hard drives and the appropriate
> enclosures, and then make them into a RAID-0 (striping) array,
> for a total of $234.95. Of  course, that price tag goes up to
> $284.95 if the rebate defeats me, and since I don't trust
> rebates, I think I'd rather go with the drive I found on
> Buy.com.

TigerDirect.com has a package on sale now that might interest
you. 500 GB Seagate drive, external enclosure with both USB 2.0
and FireWire interfaces, and CA's eTrust Internet Security Suite,
all for $200. Of course, there is rebate nastiness involved, but
considering it's a bit cheaper than the other deals you found, I
thought I'd mention it. You could even re-sell the Internet
Security Suite on eBay and recover even more of the expense.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2342127&sku=TC3T-1018

> I do have one concern about this hard disk: one reviewer on
> NewEgg  said that the 500GB are "salesman's" gigabytes, meaning
> 1,000,000,000  bytes instead of 1,073,741,824 bytes.

Unfortunately, that's the way all hard drives are sold these days.

Good luck cleaning up the ReiserFS problem. My opinion is to
stick with ext3. It works. And when it doesn't, the repair tools
will usually do a pretty good job of fixing it up. The Reiser
tools just don't cut it. You'd think that Hans Reiser would have
figured that out by now.

A.