[NBLUG/talk] Good hardwar vendors (was Missing ReiserFS superblock!)

Lincoln Peters petersl at sonoma.edu
Tue Jul 25 11:48:41 PDT 2006

On Jul 25, 2006, at 11:24 AM, Andrew wrote:

> TigerDirect.com has a package on sale now that might interest
> you. 500 GB Seagate drive, external enclosure with both USB 2.0
> and FireWire interfaces, and CA's eTrust Internet Security Suite,
> all for $200. Of course, there is rebate nastiness involved, but
> considering it's a bit cheaper than the other deals you found, I
> thought I'd mention it. You could even re-sell the Internet
> Security Suite on eBay and recover even more of the expense.

As I think about the options, I think I'd rather avoid taking my
chances with the rebate nastiness and go with whichever product is
least expensive BEFORE rebate.  Thus the drive from Buy.com looks
like the best option.

>> I do have one concern about this hard disk: one reviewer on
>> NewEgg  said that the 500GB are "salesman's" gigabytes, meaning
>> 1,000,000,000  bytes instead of 1,073,741,824 bytes.
>
> Unfortunately, that's the way all hard drives are sold these days.

Is there some way I can easily find the size of a RAID array if I
can't mount its filesystem?  At least then I could determine whether
or not a 500GB hard drive is actually big enough.

> Good luck cleaning up the ReiserFS problem. My opinion is to
> stick with ext3. It works. And when it doesn't, the repair tools
> will usually do a pretty good job of fixing it up. The Reiser
> tools just don't cut it. You'd think that Hans Reiser would have
> figured that out by now.

Once I've done all I can to recover the filesystem, you can be sure
that I'll be switching away from ReiserFS.  I would have done so
sooner, but without a way to back up all 500GB of the filesystem, it
was just impossible.

--
Lincoln "The DiskBuster" Peters
<petersl at sonoma.edu>

A few hours grace before the madness begins again.