[NBLUG/talk] Crypt Filesystems

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Tue Jul 25 13:29:14 PDT 2006

I'm doing full disk backups that go offsite. I was thiniking what would
happen if one of these backups fell into the wrong hands (I'm sure that
the fate of the universe would be changed and evil would abound (in other
words they'd say 'Cool! A 250gb SATA! I'll wipe it and put porn on it!').
Anyway a nice drop in solution would be some sort of encrypted file
system. I'd imagine it would probably work something like raid with ext3
used on top. Speed isn't really a concern as I use a rsync at midnight to
bring the drive up to date.

I seem to remember it was a meeting topic about a year ago, but I didn't
make it. I see that there are buch listed online and was wondering if
anyone who's dabbled might have comments or suggestions.

Walter - Trying to make his backup system really nice.