[NBLUG/talk] Crypt Filesystems

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Fri Jul 28 18:07:42 PDT 2006

> I suggest not having a copy of the passphrase on the system in question --
> if you need it to be automated, perhaps storing it on another system,
> available via inetd, with tcp.wrappers only allowing its IP to get the
> passphrase...
>
> The idea is that the bad guy who physically removes the drive will find
> that
> the key is nowhere to be found on the drive -- and, can't get the key
> without
> being (at the very least) on the backup system's network.
>
> Just more 2cents...
>
>  -Scott

You missed the one detail that makes it a non issue. We're not looking for
on the server security. The backup drive is swappable (almost hot). The
concern is that a backup drive could be lost or stolen off prem and the
backup used for evil intent. The solution is to encrypt the data and not
keep the key and passphrase with the backup drive. In the solution I make
a couple CDs with the passphrase/key and store them to a different
loacations (send one home with each of two bosses). Then if the building
burns down I take one of the backup drives, get a key cd from one of the
bosses and (with $20,000) re-create our entire business in a new location
in one week. At least that's the idea.