[NBLUG/talk] Re: video card compatibility

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Jun 3 14:34:40 PDT 2006

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 12:53:56PM -0700, Troy Arnold wrote:
> I use the 'nvidia' driver everywhere else with few complaints.  It can be a
> pain to set up initially though.  Some distro's have supplementary packages
> to help with the installation of the 'nvidia' driver, and this list will
> give you great support if you go that route.

Kubuntu, for example.  I thought "oh great, I just installed a new distro,
and now I've gotta figure out this video card crap again!"

Maybe I could have done the same in Debian, but was naiive, but the
instructions for installing the Nvidia driver was literally:

  * add a package source to the package manager (I already had it)
  * download the extra kernel drivers (I already had them)
  * install the nvidia-glx package
  * run nvidia-xconfig

I did a "startx -- :1" and voila, the big "nVidia" logo appeared.
It worked!  Time to restart KDM, install Stellarium, and enjoy the
accel'd 3D! ;^)

(Also, 2D app speed improved on my box.  Tux Paint, for example, no longer
renders slowly enough to watch the UI getting drawn when it starts up.)

--
-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/