[NBLUG/talk] CGI programming memory lapse

Suzanne Aldrich aigeanta at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 12:56:03 PDT 2006

On 6/7/06, Chris Palmer <chris at eff.org> wrote:

> Think of it like this: You are putting data into MySQL and you decide
> > to name your variable $query. Let's say someone tries to be smart and
> > recodes your form and makes a field called "$query". They just
> > injected your database.
>
> Oh, you don't need register_globals on for SQL injection to be all too
> easy.  Watch the Bugtraq mailing list for, like, 20 seconds, and you will
> see 20 posts about PHP apps with SQL injection vulnerabilities.  Every
> unvalidated input variable that later is used as part of an SQL query is
> an SQL injection vector.  It's part of the fun!

What I don't understand is, since everyone knows SQL injections are a
problem, why isn't there a standard function that will clean up any user
submitted data before performing SQL operations? Or, perhaps there could be
a default setting that would just automagically screen for attacks.

This security-as-an-afterthought method of designing languages/platforms is
really hurting our ability to develop new and innovative applications. If
I'm spending half my time worrying about script-kiddies, I don't have as
much opportunity to invent a useful feature or write comprehensive
documentation or do usability testing.

Anyone agree?

--
Suzanne Aldrich