[NBLUG/talk] php 4 vs. php 5 -- which to use? how to maintain?

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Sat Mar 11 19:12:16 PST 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 09:09:47AM -0800, Dave Sisley wrote:
[snip]
> Trouble is, the code was written in/for php 4 and it appears to have a
> tough time running with php 5.  I'm using an old RH9 server with php 4
> on it for now.
>
> My dilemma is that I'd like to run this app on a box running FC4 and be

So, this leads me to an obvious question: why run php4 on a distro that
doesn't really do php4 anymore?  Why not Debian or RHEL or CentOS or WBEL or
something else that will still provide patches *and* php 4?  I only ask
because I'm terribly lazy and it seems like anything that puts php4 on a
distro that only does php5 will either be an ongoing hassle or will
eventually lead to running an unpatched version of PHP...

That said, approaches worth investigating:
1) http://www.fedoralegacy.org/
2) some yum hackery to get php RPMs from the latest fedora that did php4
3) rebuild from the source RPMs from #2 and install those
4) find someplace where somebody else already built (and maintains?) php4
   for fc4.

For #1 I mean running a patched RHL9.  Not a good solution, but better than
an unpatched RHL9.

#2 might not work well, depending on how different other libraries are,
apache, etc...
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder, Scribe and InstallFest Coordinator