[NBLUG/talk] Printing problems in Linux

C. Mike Rice dolo724 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 20 19:19:45 PST 2006

David wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Using gentoo linux (2.6.12.5) with a USB Epson Stlyus Color C66 (similar to the
> C64) printer, with USB print support compiled into the kernel.  I installed
> gimp-print/Gutenprint 4.2.7 and CUPS 1.1.23 and can start and access the cups
> server web GUI at localhost:631.
>
> I then set up the printer as a local printer on USB port #1 (and multiple others
> just in case) with the Epson Photo Stylus Driver, and made sure the KDE print
> manager saw the printer entry.  The problem is that when I try to print anything
> in an application, the printer does not print.  The job queue says there is a
> job in the queue, and the /var/log/cups/error.log says there is a job in
> process, but does not give any error messages.
>
> It's as if all the software works, but the printer just sits there.  The printer
> itself works fine on Windows.  I don't understand where gimp-print fits into the
> whole process, but I think I'm missing something here.  Does any one have
> pointers or references?
>
> TIA,
> ~David~

I had a similar problem yesterday. In the CUPS printing manager, or
through the Control Center, Peripherals, see if the epson icon is
covered by a red x. Mine was, so I went to Printer, Start the printer,
and now it's fine. Good luck
Mike

--
"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler.  Frankly, I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked about such a thing."
- - -President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953