[NBLUG/talk] Xbox version compatibility issues

Jeff Coffler jeff-list-nblug_talk at taltos.com
Tue Mar 21 15:46:08 PST 2006

Hi Allan (and other XBox hackers),

> You can use the information at
> http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_Versions_HOWTO to figure out what
> version is what, but to be honest I'd just look for a drive that has two
> holes in it
> (http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_DVD_Drive_Identification_HOWTO has a
> picture).
>
> Let us know what you end up with once you've got a unit and you've put
> MythTV on it,

This is problematic.  I'll cut to the chase.  I have an Xbox that fits the
"Drive_Identification" link above.  A have a supported USB card (a Lexar
JumpDrive Sport 1GB).

I'm having a problem copying the savegame from the USB card to the Xbox.

Here's what I've done:

1) Format the USB flash drive in the XBox via "Memory" from the dashboard.
No problems.

2) Under Windows, I run ozxmemory.exe, select drive D: (the USB flash
drive), then read in the 32MB image, and write out a 256MB image (this is
consistent with the instructions at
http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Software_Method_HOWTO#Copying_the_MechInstaller_Files_to_the_HDD_of_your_Xbox).

(Note: I also tried reading the 256MB image (using "read in the 32MB image")
and writing out a 256MB image.  And I tried reading/writing a 32MB image as
well.)

3) I then attach the USB stick to the Xbox, boot it, navigate to "Memory",
and then select the USB stick.  I see a "folder" (for lack of a better term)
that says "MechAssault v1.0", but I don't see any saved game icons under
that folder.  It shows no icons in the "MechAssault v1.0" highlighted box.

I've never tried this before, so I'm not 100% sure what I should see.

Can someone help?  How, exactly, do you go about getting the USB stick
formatted, and then how, exactly, do you go about getting these files copied
over to the Xbox in order to launch MechAssault?

Thanks for any help that you guys can offer,

    -- Jeff