[NBLUG/talk] FC5 is out -- yum question

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Wed Mar 22 10:56:01 PST 2006

Looks like FC5 is out...which brings up a question...

I used yum to upgrade from FC1 to FC4 on one machine with very little
problems...alas, though, I didn't keep notes, and I forget how I did it. :/

"yum upgrade" cogitates for a while, then when it runs the dependency tests,
it gives errors about unsatisfied dependencies.  The kicker is that existing
packages satisfy a lot of dependencies, e.g.:

   Error: Package iiimf-gtk needs libiiimcf.so.3, this is not available.

But:

$ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/lib/libiiimcf.so.3
iiimf-libs-12.2-4.fc4.2
$ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/lib64/libiiimcf.so.3
iiimf-libs-12.2-4.fc4.2

I am using the x86_64 version, btw (for my new quadcore Opteron system. :)

So what's the secret to getting things rolling?  Download the offending
package(s) and do an "rpm -U --nodeps" ?

 -Scott