[NBLUG/talk] php causes apache to fail

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 08:42:59 PST 2006

I have been working on getting php in apache (via modules.d) to
function, but I have repeatedly hit the same failure. I'm hoping that
someone here will know what I am encountering, and any help will be
greatly appreciated. I should mention that I was having someone else
help me with this, and he was not able to figure out what it was.

I have apache-2.0.58-r2 installed, and I'm attempting to emerge PHP
(dev-lang/php-5.1.6-r4). I have found multiple HowTo's to follow, but
I have no specific needs for PHP and the default should suffice
(http://gentoo-wiki.com/Apache_Modules_PHP).

When I emerge dev-lang/php, it does install/compile without errors.
Upon restarting, apache will attempt to serve up pages but will time
out on every attempt on any page. I find no errors in any of the logs
that refer to either apache or PHP. The only error message I can find
is listed below, but I've never been able to figure out what it is
referring to, despite many research attempts.

apache2[15941]: segfault at 0000000062dc85b8 rip 0000000062dc85b8 rsp
00007fff4f5b4ef8 error 4

This segfault occurs whether or not PHP is enabled, and apache only
fails when PHP is enabled. All other modules work without problems.

Thank you.

Sean