[NBLUG/talk] linux migration study

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Wed Nov 8 20:30:02 PST 2006

On Tue, November 7, 2006 18:23, Buchen, Amy wrote:
> I'm conducting a study for a Harvard Business School professor on the
> costs associated with migrations between different Linux distributions,
> and I am looking for companies that have undergone a migration like
> this.  Does anyone have any contacts for IT professionals at large
> companies (500+ full time employees) who have migrated from one Linux
> distribution to another?  I can provide an honorarium of $200 to the
> company IT individuals willing to participate in the study.  It will
> involve a 30 to 45-minute phone conversation.  I am not looking for
> external consultants who have done migrations, but specifically someone
> who works for a large company that has undergone a Linux migration.
> Thank you for any advice or assistance.

Dear Amy,

Are you a student?  Is this a class assignment?  Or is this a
research-project of the instructor, and you a paid assistant?

Typically, academic studies involve a certain degree of disclosure
which I don't see here.  But, I see that you're actually with a
private business-consultancy which specializes in working with
H.B.S. prof's.

In other words, you're developing a product to sell.  Fair enough;
but I'm honestly rather put off by what seems to me to be your
apparent attempt to pass as an academic...

My .02, FWIW.

- Steve