[NBLUG/talk] High-quality text to speech

Mark Janes 707mjanes at comcast.net
Sat Nov 11 14:44:38 PST 2006

Steve,

   A little googling turned up https://www.cepstral.com/, which although
it's not open-source :-( , it does work on Linux; in fact, I downloaded
it to my x86_64-based box running SuSE 10.0 (there is also a version for
i386 Linux, as well as versions for Mac OS X, Windows, and the SPARC and
i386 versions of Solaris) and ran a command-line shell-script installer
which was very easy. The free-for-the-download voices come with a nag
message before they read your text, and it takes $29.95 to make that nag
message go away. The voices vary a bit in quality but I feel they're
comparable to http://www.elantts.com, and cepstral allows you to test
the voices before you bother with a download. Again, while their voices
aren't free, they can be sampled on and downloaded directly from the
website. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a good-quality speech
synthesizer on their Linux box that 'just works' and don't mind parting
with $30 for the privelege. Hope this helps, and if I see something
equivalent in open-source I'll post that too.

Mark Janes