[NBLUG/talk] Finding an compatible IDE motherboard

Ross Thomas boscorama at fastmail.us
Tue Nov 14 11:34:03 PST 2006

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:10:19 -0800, "Todd Cary"
<todd at aristesoftware.com> said:

> Thank you for your patience and thoroughness in your responses.  The
> conclusion I had came to awhile ago is the board needs to be replaced.

Well, finding 478 boards isn't as easy as it sounds.  tigerdirect.com
has some.  Though, at this stage I would suggest something that does
not have on-board RAID (or at least allows you to disable it).  Why?
Well, you've just experienced the problem of partial hardware solutions.

If you want RAID, I'd suggest the Linux LVM stuff.  At least it's known
to work with all drive types and mother-boards.  While it is software
RAID, it's a better solution than the one you had.  But not as good as
a true hardware RAID solution (like a 3ware card).

> My quandary is how to chose/find some simple board to replace it that
> has a 478 socket for an Intel CPU and IDE channels *and* will run the
> latest Linux.  When I look at the plethora of motherboards (mostly using
> new chip sets), I get lost.

The 478's on tigerdirect.com should all work with Linux.  As you've
noticed, it's only really the 'added extras' that may not work.  As
such,
I'd make sure that you aren't relying on those.

For that matter, if you go the software RAID route, you could probably
re-use the existing board after saving the data and then restoring it
after the install.

Not knowing your slot & device requirements makes it a little harder
to make a more accurate suggestion.

HTH.

Ross.

                          unladen european swallow