[NBLUG/talk] gamin, gam_server

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Wed Nov 22 11:24:40 PST 2006

Has anyone else had problems with gam_server taking over their memory and
cpu(like 80% of each)? I have been unable to find any useful information
on the web as to a cure, just people complaining about it.

>From what I've been able to find, gamin watches for file changes in
desktop environments, at least Gnome and KDE.

When it goes bad, if you kill it, it respawns and continues to gobble. I
don't know what process starts it, either. It seems to be triggered by
doing things in a file manager(Konqueror or Nautilus) especially with a
USB drive connected. Disconnecting the drive doesn't make it mellow out.
Nice-ing it doesn't stop it from hogging memory.

The only solution seems to log out of X and then start X again. It does
release the memory it used.

My particular system is Kubuntu Dapper, but it appears that Fedora also
uses gamin/gam_server and has troubles with it from time to time.

Cheerful regards,

Bob