[NBLUG/talk] (k)ubuntu, apt-get, versionitis

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Fri Oct 13 12:30:38 PDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 10:01:28AM -0700, Bob Blick wrote:
> I went to install some development packages on a kubuntu machine, but I
> couldn't do it because it would break some packages. Evidently the
> available development packages (for example let's say qt3-mt-dev) are at
> version 3.3.3.4 whereas the already-installed qt3-mt package is version
> 3.3.3.7 due to my previously letting kubuntu update me. So basically the
> repositories do not have corresponding versions.

That shouldn't happen.  It's my understanding that the binary packages
themselves are built using the available -dev packages.  I don't have a
k/ubuntu install nearby, but from browsing
http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/ it appears that the qt and qt dev
packages are in sync at 3.3.6.  Did you install stuff from a third-party
repository?

> What would have been the right thing to do here? Since I can't rely on the
> ubuntu package maintainers to be up to date, how do I go about rolling
> back in a graceful way? There were dozens of instances.

You might be able to mount the original kubuntu install cd and point your
sources list at it...

But I don't know why you'd not be able to install the -dev packages.  I
haven't run into that problem yet myself, though I'm relatively new to
ubuntu.  Could we see the error messages from your package installer?

Regarding your kernel issue, which one(s) are missing the corresponding
kernel-headers package ?

-t