[NBLUG/talk] Wierdness with fstab (on FC5) and noauto

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Fri Sep 1 11:51:25 PDT 2006

On Fri, September 1, 2006 10:22, Jeff Coffler wrote:

> So a few more questions:
>
> 1. The behavior I want is: if the disk is in the machine, it should be
> mounted.  If it's not, it shouldn't be mounted (and it shouldn't cause
> the boot process to abort due to that).  Is that possible with fstab
> today?

A couple of questions back to you...

Is this a "hot swap" or "removable media" disk?  If so, the system should
be able to handle dynamic detecting/mounting (maybe with some further
tweaking; but the /ability/ exists, in principle).

Or, is this a disk you'd attach before powering the system up?  If so, I'd
place this function in the bootscripts -- do a DETECT before attempting a
MOUNT.  In other words, DON'T do conditional disk-mounts via fstab, do it
commandline, in a boot-time script, that tests each "maybe" disk (or tests
the bus to see which-if-any exists) before attempting to mount it.
IMHO/YMMV/etc...

- Steve S.