[NBLUG/talk] SSH question

Tim Preston timp at sonic.net
Wed Sep 13 20:55:12 PDT 2006

Greetings,

Long time lurker, newbie, needing advice.

Dell hardware 667PIII, 128MB ram, 10gB, 3com nic
Yes Linux install (claims to be Knoppix with Tomcat, Apache, OpenSSH,
Webmail, iptables, etc..)
Default install (see above) runs HTTPD, someversion-mail, webmail,
iptables firewall
Created user as Administrator (part of their config using php/web)
Ran the Yesconfigurator to start SSH at the console as root

I can log in at the console using SSH to localhost, however when I try
to log in from a remote "Windows box" using SecureShell I get an error
"Algorythm negotiation failed" Key exchange with the remote host
failed... I have double checked the config file and restarted sshd and
the server. Still no joy.

When I created a test box, this worked without a hitch. Iptables config
files match, the sshd files match. I'm running out of basic fixes.

Oh great guru's of the Linux world, hear my prayer: "How can I learn to
find the path to secureshell?" "Please send me a prophet with the wisdom
and knowledge to guide this poor retch." :)

Tim