[NBLUG/talk] UPS for brownouts

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 09:32:57 PDT 2007

Hello,

My sister is heading off to Tennessee with my old laptop. We've been
told that the area she's going has frequent power outages, power
spikes, and brownouts.

The laptop has a battery with 2-4 hours of life (depending on, among
other things, whether Linux or Windows is booted...) so we're good for
power outages. We have a power strip with a heavy-duty surge
protector, so we're good for power spikes. What I'm still worried
about is brownouts.

Does anybody have any good recommendations for UPSes that will protect
against damage from brownouts? Best Buy just wants to sell something
based on how long the battery will last after the power goes
completely out. That's not what we need. :-P

I don't care if she finds herself without power for the computer for a
few hours. What I care about is her winding up in the middle of
nowhere with a computer with a dead motherboard. :-(

Thanks,
William