[NBLUG/talk] Editing .avi files - Flip Video Camera

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Sat Aug 18 09:47:06 PDT 2007

William Tracy wrote:
> On 8/16/07, Dave Sisley <dsisley at sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Bob:
>> I forgot to mention that mplayer plays the video fine (so does totem,
>> which I guess just uses mplayer on the backend).  It's the editing that
>> I want to get set up.
>>
>> I will try and see if idvid can tell me anything.
>> -dave.
>>

> Can you manually convert it to another format with ffmpeg or mencoder?

Thanks William (...& everybody):

I didn't get to idvid, but I got a decent command-line conersion going with:

    ffmpeg -sameq -i originalFile.AVI outputFile.mpeg

Now I'd like to edit it.  Of the 3 programs I've been fiddling with,
cinelerra looks the most promising (the other 2: kino & avidemux).
However, when I load the file in cinelerra and try to play it, I can
only hear the audio - I don't see any video.  There's a big, separate
window that I'm sure is supposed to display the video, but it shows nothing.

Any ideas?

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley