[NBLUG/talk] Monitoring my webpage

E Frank Ball III frankb at frankb.us
Thu Dec 27 16:27:21 PST 2007

On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 07:08:51PM -0500, Jack Smith wrote:
 > I have my own webpage in html on my server at home and would like to monitor
 > its use (if any).  Something in the system log would be fine, so would most
 > anything else.  "You are the nth user" is dorky but I suppose I would do
 > that if there's nothing better.  :-)  Any idea where I should start looking?
 >
 > --
 > Jack Smith

Many possibilities:

Your server probably has a log file in /var/log/? that you can read.
What webserver are you running?

You can run the "logcheck" program.  It greps your log files once an
hour and sends you an email with anything interesting.  You define
what's interesting with regular expressions in the config files.
For a very low volume site you could just have it send you any log
activity for the website.

http://www.statcounter.com/
They give you some javascript to include on your webpage, then you log
into their site to see the stats.  Free for the last 100 hits to your
site.  Pay money for longer history.

http://www.google.com/analytics/
They give you some javascript to include on your webpage, then you log
into their site to see the stats.  Free.

http://www.digits.com/
A web counter that shows on your webpage.  Free if you include a small
icon/link to their page.  There are a number of services like this.
Some come and go, this one has been around a while.  You could also
write your own cgi script in perl or bash or whatever to do this pretty
easily.

  Frank Ball  frankb at frankb.us