[NBLUG/talk] Ideal laptop for Linux?

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 00:01:14 PST 2007

Generally speaking, I've heard that most laptops work well with Linux
(particularly Dell from what I've heard), and if the system is older
the dirvers for that system have usually had more of a chance to be
written.

Here's what I'd suggest, especially if cost is a factor, and the use
of it is for productivity. Go with a Dell laptop (components are
readily available via eBay if not direct from Dell, and inexpensive
and relatively easy to take apart), of any moderate power (preferably
1GHz (1.5GHz or higher best) with 384MB of RAM [512 or 1GB best]).
Personally for ease of use I'd go with the latest Ubuntu, as any
wireless adapters or other hardware should "just work" and potentially
save alot of headache.

Ubuntu will even allow you to easily dual boot with Windows in case
she really needs any windows dependent software. I'm quite happy with
Ubuntu and will be switching to it as soon as I get another box so I
can offload my current system to it.

Sean