[NBLUG/talk] RAID?

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Mon Dec 31 10:23:20 PST 2007

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 10:17:29AM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> Not surprisingly, I have never seen a hardware RAID implementation
> that could do something that exotic.  My only complaint was that I
> couldn't increase the size of the RAID-5 array by adding more drives
> without rebuilding the entire array, but that seems to be a pretty
> rare feature for any RAID implementation.
> --
> Lincoln Peters
> <anfrind at gmail.com>

Just wanted to comment on this point, actually these days mdadm can grow
RAID-5 arrays by adding a partition (and there was a tool to do it on
old-style linux software RAID as well). I've successfully done it to grow
RAID5s both with the old-style tool and with mdadm as part of testing for
Knoppix Hacks and while it took some time it did work.

Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
The North Bay Linux Users Group
kyle at nblug.org