[NBLUG/talk] RAID?

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Mon Dec 31 10:23:20 PST 2007

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 10:17:29AM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
[snip]

> Not surprisingly, I have never seen a hardware RAID implementation
> that could do something that exotic.  My only complaint was that I
> couldn't increase the size of the RAID-5 array by adding more drives
> without rebuilding the entire array, but that seems to be a pretty
> rare feature for any RAID implementation.
>
> --
> Lincoln Peters
> <anfrind at gmail.com>

Just wanted to comment on this point, actually these days mdadm can grow
RAID-5 arrays by adding a partition (and there was a tool to do it on
old-style linux software RAID as well). I've successfully done it to grow
RAID5s both with the old-style tool and with mdadm as part of testing for
Knoppix Hacks and while it took some time it did work.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org