[NBLUG/talk] New Compaq sr2150nx - Linux can't find SATA drive

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Thu Feb 1 21:03:29 PST 2007

Hey:

I've burned myself with an impulse buy!

So, I'm in CompUSA today and, in a moment of weakness, I buy a computer
(cheap - and better than my current desktop).

The specs:
Compaq sr2150nx, with a Celeron D, 512 ram and 120G hard drive (and a
squeaky clean Vista).

Trouble is it has a SATA Hard drive, and when I tried to install FC5 on
it, I get a message to the effect that there's no hard drive.  Knoppix
4.0.2 is similar - it boots fine, but there's no drives to mount.  I
know I should have more contemporary versions of Linux for this box, but
I have no CD burner right now, so I was going to install FC5, then
download FC6 (or something new?) and then install that...

How do I get FC5 to see this drive? Or is there another distro that is
more likely to see it?  I'm woefully ignorant as to hardware, so I'm not
even sure I'm googling correctly.  I'm thinking my problem is drivers -
I don't know what I would need.

TIA for any help!

-dave.

--