[NBLUG/talk] New Compaq sr2150nx - Linux can't find SATA drive

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 1 22:37:48 PST 2007

On Thursday 01 February 2007 21:03, Dave Sisley wrote:
> Trouble is it has a SATA Hard drive, and when I tried to install FC5 on
> it, I get a message to the effect that there's no hard drive.  Knoppix
> 4.0.2 is similar - it boots fine, but there's no drives to mount.  I
> know I should have more contemporary versions of Linux for this box, but
> I have no CD burner right now, so I was going to install FC5, then
> download FC6 (or something new?) and then install that...

Boot into Knoppix.  Open a Konsole window and run the "lspci" command.  It
should list pretty much everything that's attached to the motherboard,
including the make and model of your troublesome SATA controller.

Once you know what kind of SATA controller you're dealing with, things might
get easier.

--
Lincoln Peters		<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Questions are never indiscreet, answers sometimes are.
		-- Oscar Wilde