[NBLUG/talk] Considerations for a new motherboard?

Robert P. Thille list-nblug-talk at rangat.org
Mon Jan 29 10:50:16 PST 2007

Jippen wrote:
> PCI-Express and PCI-X are the same thing.
Not at all.  PCI-E (pci-express) and PCI-X aren't the same.  PCI express
  vs PCI-X is more like SATA vs PATA.

The cards and slots aren't compatible, and PCI-E is newer, faster, etc...

The article at webconnexxion.com another respondent linked had some good
info, but seemed to be pushing PCI-X.  From what I've seen in the
electronics trade rag I get (EE Times), PCI-X is legacy and PCI Express
is the new thing.

One thing the the article doesn't really show well is that the PCI-E
bandwidth is full-duplex, so while it may not be fully useful bandwidth
with all cards (graphics), a RAID card could be read-from and written-to
at the same time with 2GB/s each way with just a 4 lane slot.

Robert

--
Robert Thille                7575 Meadowlark Dr.; Sebastopol, CA 95472
Home: 707.824.9753    Office/VOIP: 707.780.1560     Cell: 707.217.7544