[NBLUG/talk] Problems wiring Ethernet ports

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 9 13:58:56 PDT 2007

I've been trying to wire my house so that there is an Ethernet port in every
room.  I color-coded all five ports, so that I could more easily keep track
of them.  Each port in five different rooms is a different color, and there
is a faceplate with 5 ports next to my switch, all of which are
correspondingly color-coded.  Everything seems to work except for the white
ports.

Usually, the inside of an Ethernet port contains 8 pins, all in an even row.
But for some reason, on these ports, pins 3 and 6 seem to be recessed lower
than the other pins.  None of the other ports look like these (all pins are
even across the port), nor do any of the Ethernet ports on my computers, so
I'm guessing I have a bad port here.

I would provide pictures to illustrate exactly what's going on, but I can't
get my digital camera to focus on such small objects in low light.

Any thoughts as to why these pins might not be even with the others on an
Ethernet port?  Might they be defective?

--
Lincoln Peters		<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Life's the same, except for the shoes.
		-- The Cars