[NBLUG/talk] Samba and Windows

droman at romansys.com droman at romansys.com
Sun Jun 10 17:13:09 PDT 2007

Tim,
  1) List your samba users and make sure you have the correct user in the
linux and samba system that matches your windows user:
     "pdbedit -L" to list users and there uid's
     "pdbedit -L -v" to list a bunch of good info
     man pdbedit for many more options.

  2) Check that your smb.conf file has correct user list for the specific
share:
     In smb.conf:
     [SHARENAME]
     valid users = @usergroup
     or
     valid users = me,you,someone

  3) Make sure your XP password matches your linux password otherwise you
will most likely get asked for a valid password.

  4) Make sure your XP username is the same, otherwise you will get asked
for a valid userid.

  5) Check /var/log/ :
     tail -f /var/log/samba/smbd.log
     tail -f /var/log/samba/nmbd.log
     tail -f /var/log/samba/machine.log
     tail -f /var/log/syslog  (and/or messages).

  6) Make sure the permissions on the share for the user in samba would
normally allow you access to the folder/files as if your user in linux
doesn't have access to them, your windows/samba user won't either.

Good luck!

---Dean.