[NBLUG/talk] Playing DVDs

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Mon May 14 10:43:41 PDT 2007

How do I play an ordinary perfectly legal correct region DVD on Fedora Core
6?  Works fine on my DVD player hooked up to my television.

mplayer gives these messages

Encrypted VOB file! Read DOCS/HTML/en/cd- dvd.html.
FATAL: Could not initialize video filters (-vf) or video output (-vo).

OK, mplayer says I need to set a region code on my DVD drive so I use
regionset to do this.  I can play region 1 DVDs on my TV so I set it for
region 2.  Now I get

libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdread: Invalid IFO for VMGM (VIDEO_TS.IFO).

Fixed the first one by installing libdvdcss but the second message remains.
Everything I can find claims the region code hasn't been set, but it has.
Any ideas?

PS. xine doesn't work either, assuming I'm doing it right.  It's error
message is

No input plugin available to handle "dvd:/".
Maybe MRL syntax is wrong or file/stream source doesn't exist.

Thanks,
Jack

--
English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.