[NBLUG/talk] php5 apache2 WON'T DIE

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Sat May 19 15:44:31 PDT 2007

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 01:46:20PM -0700, Robert Hayes wrote:
> I removed apache2, and php5, installed apache (1.3) and php4, and php5 and
> apache2 keep coming up.
>
> I've ripped the directories out by the roots manually from a console. They
> still keep coming up.
>
> Years ago I went on vacation for a week and left my VW parked next to some
> kudzu vine. When I came home six days later the kudzu had crawled up the
> tires, over the fenders and the two sides were weaving together across the
> hood.
>
> That was funny. This isn't.
>
> Any guidance, please.

lsof.

Specifically, look for the process id of the process that  you don't want,
and run something like "lsof -p 317".  One of the very first things listed
will be the executable that it ran from, followed by lots of libraries (and
other dynamically loaded objects, aka ".so files").

Another thing to try.  Get the process ID again.  Usually there's one
httpd/apache process running as root and the rest as "apache" or "http" or
"www-data" -- for the lsof thing it didn't matter which you got, for this
you really need the one that's running as root.
"strace -p 317"
Then in another console, "kill -HUP 317"

This will tell the apache process to reload its configuration, which will
naturally involve loading all the configuration files.

And, of course, "ps auxfw" is handy for this kind of thing.

You didn't mention which distro you're using, but I would definitely
recommend using the information you gather from the above to find out which
package has the files causing you the problems, and tell the package
management system to remove those packages...  Try working with your package
management system before ripping things out manually, or you risk leaving
roots that will sprout again and you'll never get the kudzu out of your
engine compartment.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder